Wednesday, July 13, 2011

City visit


Today I spent a wonderful day in Chicago: the land of people who hold doors open and men who wear socks with sandals.


My mom let me borrow her 35 mm to shoot some pictures which I am taking to develop soon. Hooray! I left my pod home, so there was no soundtrack besides construction, the click of the shutter, and all the taxis honking. I felt very artsy, with my army green button down to boot. (Although I probably looked like I should be leading a safari.) Who knows how the shots will turn out! It's going to be a whole lotta subjects lined up in the third of the frame. ...Because everything looks better a little off center, right? 

Well, whilst in the city, I picked up a few things I shall share: 

1. No one looks good in white sunglasses. No one. 

2. You can't go wrong with anything bought at Anthropologie. If you aren't familiar with the store, I urge you to visit their site. They're ridiculously out of my budget, but they have great sales! 


3. People pose insanely similar in front of the bean. It's the exact pose people strike in NYC, as well, trust me...

(me, circa last summer)

4. Children should not be on leashes. 

5. Why do you keep waving to yourself in the bean's reflection?

6. Colored jeans are an absolute fashion DO. 

7. Fanny paks were never in. 

8. If you're lost, don't stand in the middle of the sidewalk yelling into your phone, "I have no idea where the hell I am." Unless you want to have your bag stolen. Then, be my guest.

9. People are extremely obtrusive when it comes to their children. I was sitting in Millenium Park minding my own business, watching the young'ens play in the fountain, when a very ghostly-looking smelly older lady with shoulder length unbrushed red hair sat right next to me. I mean, there was a good three feet she could have scooted over, but she proceeded to tell her kids to take off their socks and "Go play!"And then she glared at me when I didn't scoot ma boot.  Ok, you can take your knee high tube socks and Skechers elsewhere, lady! As much as I would have loved to tell her that her absent-minded pictures on that crappy digital Kodak camera were going to suck (I mean, it didn't even make the shutter noise*!), I just picked up my bags and moved elsewhere. But the more I watched, I saw mommies culprits of invading the young peoples' space left and right. I'm gonna watch out for that one when I've got kids. That, and the leash thing. 

10. An alphabet tattoo down the length of your leg does not make you look smarter... Or more literate. 


*Disclaimer: Digital cameras that don't make a shutter noise are just as good as those that do, unless all the shots are in the center, or none of your subjects have necks all of a sudden. Then we're gonna have to talk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment