Friday, March 16, 2012

SXSW Interactive

(I spoke to the co-creator of this app - Glomper - and he said this little creature is a hamster. I don't care what he is, there is no denying that thing is adorable. And yes, I did get the free T-shirt with him on the side.)


I just got back from a Spring Break trip to South By Southwest in Austin, TX. I traveled as part of my New Devices class at IU. We study social movements, how they take shape, and things of the sort. Each of the students in the class is working on a different project. Mine is focusing on the design of social forums and their differences, which ones have succeeded and why. Our professor required us to gather interviews with panelists and speakers which led to some pretty interesting conversation.

While waiting in line for a comedy show by Upright Citizen's Brigade, we met a guy whose claim to fame was that his cat is the one that takes the lid off in the Fancy Feast commercials - hilarious! Where else would I have met this guy? Answer: probably nowhere.  

Admittedly, before the trip, I knew little about the festival aside from the fact that the Real World interns dealt with the music portion, oh how little did I know. I didn't think I would take away so many new experiences and so much information during the six days while we were there. Even as I sit typing this, so many memories from the trip are flying through my head, I don't know where to begin.

Alas, a smorgasbord of experiences would be too much. Overall, my biggest takeaway? I'm into graphic design (for the time being), and I met so many like-minded people who told me to keep doing what I'm doing: when you're doing what you love, that's when you make your best work. Duly noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment