Thursday, March 22, 2012

Austin's food culture

Before leaving for South by Southwest last week, I told myself I wouldn't miss out on any of the food, and that meant hitting up some of the food trucks in Austin. When I heard "food truck," I immediately thought of the metal steam machine food carts off the side of the street in New York where you never know quite what it is that you're eating... 

However, I was surprised at the variety of food trucks in Austin, and the (mostly) absence of jankness, for lack of a better term. The third annual street food fest had everything from this incredible taco served on warm indian naan bread to surf and turf to dim sum - all from a truck! The Today show even had a truck set up where you could even get free breakfast all day. Free french toast with blueberry sauce? Yes, please! Austin is, without a doubt, a foodie's heaven. 

This pork taco I had reminds me of this tasty little treat. I blame the newspaper packaging.


They even had kim chi fries - served at a truck that fused mexican cuisine with korean cuisine. One truck was even offering Korean hamburgers, and something about them just worked. 


And check out this brightly decorated indian food truck. Indian food, yum! Down from the festival, we also found one truck serving pad thai, another nothing but coffees, and one that even served fried sandwiched with a side of jam. I can promise you, nothing that I tried disappointed. 


Austin's food culture, I can promise you, you are dearly missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment